The Old Church on Washington Street
The old Unitarian Church on Washington Street
was remodeled by Mr. Rogers to accommodate the lower grades from the
overcrowded Rogers' School. It is of interest to note here that when the
Rogers' School was being built, someone remarked to the donor that he was
"crazy to build so large a schoolhouse in Fairhaven." But it was
another instance of his remarkable foresight.
The Unitarian Society moved from the old church
and worshipped for some time in Phoenix Hall until the parish
Work was begun on the buildings of the
Unitarian Society of Fairhaven during the month of April 1901 and the corner
stone was laid on August 5, 1901.