With the support of the Massachusetts congressman (and former
president) John Quincy Adams playing a vital role,
Congress appropriated $5,000
on March 3, 1837, for a lighthouse at Ned's Point, at the north side of the
entrance to Mattapoisett's harbor.
The lighthouse was built in 1837-38 and first
lighted in March 1838.
A small stone dwelling was built close to the lighthouse.
Location: North side of entrance to Mattapoisett Harbor.
Station established: 1838
41 39 03 N
70 47 44 W
© 2007 Dana Morris
Card Page Christmas
to Ned's Point web sites